Friday, April 4, 2008

First time for everything

For the first time since I can remember, I will be watching a March Madness game that my Heels are involved in without a group of friends. The reason for this is a small conference that I will be attending. I guess it is the signs of growing up whenever you start having to do work-related stuffs in exchange for big sporting events. I am sure that soon enough I will be having to TiVo/DVR big basketball and football games due to work-related travel. Thankfully, that shouldn't be happening for a few years.

I know a lot has been written about growing old, and it seems silly to write about it when I am only in my late 20s, but it sure feels like time blows by. My oldest sister is a couple of years from turning 40, and that just seems crazy to me. Working in academic science also provides an interesting view point on aging. The Freshmen undergraduate classes do a really good job at staring you right down and letting you know that there are plenty of 18 year olds in the world.

Alas, I should leave this post on a positive note:

Go Heels!

5 comments:

Nate M. said...

Ran into some folks from the Heise lab yesterday, and they were lamenting being in Atlanta for the game. I told them that they should look you up.

Aaron said...

I turn 30 in 73 days which isn't freaking me out. What freaks me out is that of the six first year LLCC Radiography students three of them were in middle school when I graduated from ICC in 2000 and two others were getting their learner's permits to drive. It doesn't seem like they should be that young. The 6th student is about my dad's age and starting his second career. I'd hate to know what he thinks about the whole situation.

Nate M. said...

If I'd known that 40-12 was going to happen, I think I would've recommended you stay for the evening session.

mainou said...

I have no words to describe how bummed I am about finishing the season like that. At least Nancy Davis now knows that I am not afraid of saying "fuck". Oh well.

Nate M. said...

Oh my. I'm sure that it was an eye opening experience for Nancy.

Honestly, I was sort of in shock. I watched the whole game pretty emotionally disconnected from the outcome. I actually felt worse about the whole thing when I woke up this morning.

My opinion has always been that any season that ends at the Final Four is a success. But this game really tested that sentiment for me.