Monday, April 21, 2008

Feist Sucks!

We attended this weekend the Vandy-sponsored Rites of Spring. For $20 we got to go Friday afternoon and Saturday evening to listen to a wide array of artists, none of which I was particularly fond of. Either way, after a hideous day of work for me (let's just say I had a beer with lunch) we walked over with blankets, beer, and raincoats in hand to the site of the concert. We were treated to a bit of Jeremy Lister (pretty generic) followed by Concord, NC natives The Avett Brothers, followed by a lot of rain that chased us home before Spoon (Nat really wanted to check them out) came on. I must say that The Avett Brothers were a good show and their music is pretty cool. I am currently listening to "Emotionalism" and I recommend it. It is a fun mix of Bluegrass, Blues, Punk, with a little spice here and there.

Saturday night we got there, with cloudy but dry skies, to a decent Grace Potter, who would prove to be the highlight of the night, Old Crow Medicine Show (ok Bluegrassy band with a high percentage of words in songs referencing drugs or drug use), followed by Feist (who was so horrible it is hard to imagine her lasting much longer). Actually Feist was so incredibly hideous that we called it a night halfway through her show. We missed the last act, Lil Jon, although word has it that he was almost as bad as Feist. Overall, it was a good time to hang out with friends and wife and listen to some music after a crappy work week, even if the music was not particularly good and mother nature decided to cry on us.

In the end I learned 4 things:

1. If you musical career took off mostly because of a solid marketing campaign by a computer maker chances are you suck at the music thing and should consider going back to college.

2. Female undergrads at Vanderbilt like to wear cowboy boots with dresses-is this normal or am I just old?

3. While people hate on Microsoft and Bill Gates and root for Apple and Steve Jobs, I must say that while I notice Apple selling iPods and Macs and giving away iPods at concerts they sponsor, Bill Gates gives away anti-HIV, malaria, etc. drugs and runs a quality foundation.

3. The Avett Brothers proved again that what I consider my home state, NC, is a hot bed for everything good...and yes, in my mind I am going to Carolina.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

I at least had luke-warm feelings for Feist before Saturday, but indeed she does really really suck.

Nate M. said...

Cowboy boots and dresses don't make sense to me. But neither do those moon boot snow boots and dresses, and you see that here.

Aaron said...

I like Feist's latest CD. Too bad she sucks live.

Spoon would have been cool to see, too bad the weather sucked. I saw them on "Austin City Limits" on PBS a few months ago and they were pretty good.

If you ever get the chance to see Radiohead I recommen them highly. I saw them in 2003 and I could have been struck dead afterwards and gone with a smile.

You must not watch CMT (neither do I) but they're always wearing cowboy boots and dresses. Moon Boots and ANYTHING don't make sense to me. Napolean Dynamite must have started that trend.

jo blow said...

Feist sucks. She's a studio act.