Monday, December 15, 2008

Kidnapping expert kidnapped

Nothing says 'tis the season for giving like kidnapping an expert in kidnappings. Well, this is exactly what happened in my [not so]beloved home country recently as reported here. While I have not been a fan of my birth nation for quite some time, or a fine representative of it, I dare say that the frequent reports of kidnappings, narc killings, corruption scandals and you name it are starting to make me wonder whether things are about to get much worse before things get better. Actually, a supreme court justice in Mexico thinks the country is starting to slip from the hands of those that care for a better Mexico (article in Spanish). While on the topic, an exchange with my sister's boyfriend also yielded this news piece (sorry, also in Spanish) about a drug lord that was busted recenlty and that during a gun fight tried to call for help from two police chiefs.

Maybe I am naive in not worrying for the safety of my mom and sisters who live in Mexico City or my dad and sister who live in Ciudad Juarez and El Paso. I guess I just have convinced myself that since we are not loaded and are not narcs that we should be safe but for a robbery here or there. As far as I know, the only one in my immediate family that has been robbed at gun point was my dad a few years back while taking a cab. My oldest sister has had 2 cars stolen, but never while she was in the car.

Here is hoping that things turn around in Mexico and that Nat and I make it to and back without a hitch.

3 comments:

Nate M. said...

I saw the report of the kidnapping and thought of you both. I often have to remind myself that Mexico has a population of well over 100 million people, and that probability is definitely in one's favor.

mainou said...

Yeah, especially since most of the bad stuff is happening outside Mexico City.

Aaron said...

A kidnapping expert getting kidnapped is like a credit counselor going bankrupt.

The news from Mexico is troubling especially with the targeting of journalists, photogs, etc.